Bay Area Houston Ballet & Theatre Announces New Plans
Forty years into their history, the Bay Area Houston Ballet & Theatre is about to embark on another exciting chapter. It has been announced that the rehearsal space will be moved to a new location, while proudly keeping their performance home at the University of Houston at Clear Lake. The new space will provide an ample area for their professional dancers and BAHBT Company members to train and rehearse. In addition to office space, it will also accommodate their vast costume collection, along with a sewing room for design, construction, and fittings.
With the Clear Lake area continuing to grow south, the new location will be on Dickinson Avenue in Dickinson and is currently under construction, with an estimated completion date of late July. This will be just in time for the beginning of the new season, which the BAHBT Board of Directors also announced recently.
The 2016-2017 Season is aptly named Variances. The first major production will be Dracula, slated for October 14 – 16, 2016. Next will bring The Nutcracker for two weekends in December. A spring performance, entitled Pasión, promises to be a crowd pleaser. Among other events will be the annual Breakfast with the Sugar Plum Fairy on November 19 at the South Shore Harbour Hotel & Resort, as well as a shortened version of last season’s Cinderella to be performed in area schools.
Other important dates to remember are The Nutcracker auditions on August 20, and the BAHBT Season Kick Off in early September.
BAHBT’s 2016-2017 OPEN COMPANY AUDITIONS
“Bay Area Houston Ballet & Theatre is excited to announce OPEN COMPANY AUDITIONS for consideration to its 2016-2017 season.
- Applicants must submit a Video Audition, Headshot and Resume no later than Monday, June 6, 2016 (sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- All male and female applicants must have background of intermediate to advanced dance training with strong emphasis in ballet
- Applicant must be 12 years of age or older (by Tuesday, September 6, 2016)
Video Audition Guidelines:
- Applicants should wear appropriate audition attire (white shirt and black tights for all males and black leotard and pink tights for all females)
- Video should be no longer than 10-minutes in duration
- Video should include:
- Abbreviated Barre (plie, tendu, adagio, battement) to one side each
- Abbreviated Center (adagio, pirouettes, petit allegro, grand allegro)
- Pointe work may also be demonstrated, in the center, if the applicant has experience
- Footage should be current and recorded no earlier that 6-months of submission
- Video Audition should be in a readable format (ex: .avi, .mp4 or .wmv)
If you have any questions regarding BAHBT’s Open Company Auditions please email email@example.com.”